Attn. Bands: Help us build a master list
Help us make a master list.
It’s a simple idea, but it might be an impossible feat. We want to create a master list of every heavy band in greater Portland — whether active, on hiatus or stone-ass dead — and we need your help. When finished, the master list will have a permanent link on the home page (just below our logo and “About the author”). It’ll be a one-stop shop for info and links on every bad motherfucker in the land. Before we go any further, however, let’s set some eligibility requirements:
- You must be heavy. We respect punk, hip-hop and indie rock as much as the next guy, but this is not the place for it.
- We only want bands whose home turf is Portland, Maine. We’ll also accept bands that reside in bordering towns. (Sawtopsy, we’re looking at you.) (Holyfilth, you get honorary Portland status in our book.)
- Your band must have played at least two shows in at least two venues within Portland. We’ll accept basement shows as long as fliers were posted and it wasn’t a private party.
- You must have at least 100 Facebook followers. This isn’t a popularity contest or anything, but we need to keep the list tight and informative, not burdened by side projects and one-offs. If your band lived and died in the glorious era before Facebook, we’ll make an exception as long as all above criteria are met.
If you meet the guidelines, here’s the information we need:
- Band name
- Status: active/hiatus/defunct/it’s complicated
- Year formed/year of hiatus or break-up
- Members’ names and their instruments
- Brief description of sound. Two sentences maximum. While we acknowledge that no one likes to be pigeonholed, labels are still useful. If you’re doom, death, black, etc., go ahead and say it. Feel free to get abstract with the second sentence.
- Links to websites/social media, in the order of your preference (i.e., if Facebook is the best way to stay in touch with your audience, put that first on the list [but, really, y’all should get on Twitter, post haste]).
- Contact information (optional)
Send this information to email@example.com. Please include the words “master list” in the subject line. We’ll post the list in early September and do our best to keep it current thereafter. Many thanks, PM